Taylor Swift’s Eras Tour is taking over a stadium near you – literally and figuratively. In addition to the concerts themselves, her presence is a powerful one in the respective host cities. She has inspired social media influencers and community leaders alike to jump on trends and be Swifties for a day, and there is a lot for marketers and corporate communicators to learn.
Consider incorporating the following five tips into your next communications campaign:
- Generate buzz: While tickets for the Eras Tour sold out months in advance, local activations like welcoming billboards and punny street signs were often unexpected and unannounced, creating a sense of excitement and exclusivity among Swift’s fans. This element of surprise increased anticipation for the event and gave host cities the opportunity to promote themselves to visitors. For instance, the governor of New Jersey declared the Taylor ‘Swift’ Ham, Egg and Cheese the official state sandwich prior to Swift’s weekend shows at MetLife Stadium. By using surprise tactics and exclusive experiences, your organization can engage target audiences and generate excitement around your products or services.
- Leverage social media: Swift didn’t need to use any paid media to promote her tour or encourage ticket purchasing. Her fans have a power all their own, using their social media platforms to create FOMO – the fear of missing out – on this unique concert experience. As an example, influencers on TikTok and Instagram shared their Eras Tour concert outfits with thousands of followers while promoting Swift at the same time. Similarly, your organization can harness the power of social media to build anticipation, engage audiences in a more personal way, and create a sense of community around a brand, product or initiative. Also consider applying this concept to internal communications by enlisting senior leadership to promote your campaign via Yammer or other internal channels.
- Incorporate personalization: Swift not only knows her audience and their interests but she also prioritizes personalized and fan-centric experiences. She takes the time to interact with and surprise her fans, dropping hints on social media and customizing set lists. Since the beginning of her career, Swift has embedded messages in her music videos, outfits and lyrics sending her fans on a scavenger hunt of clues. Not knowing what comes next for the big star and her music, these hunts keep Swifties on their toes. By focusing on personalization, your organization can create experiences that uniquely resonate with target audiences.
- Utilize emotional storytelling: Swift’s Eras Tour takes attendees on a journey through her albums and phases of her career – her Eras – and the emotions that come with each. The concert experience relies on the strong connection between Swift’s music and her brand, and on attendees’ ability to reflect upon their own Eras. Consider using similar storytelling techniques to create an emotional connection with your audience and align your organization’s brand values with compelling narratives.
- Collect and analyze data: Swift’s team uses data-driven insights to optimize fan experiences; they review engagement metrics, fan feedback and other data points to understand what works well and what needs improvement. With this data, constant reinvention plays at the heart of Swift’s strategies in order to keep fan engagement and attention high. Companies too can collect and analyze data to gain valuable insights into campaigns, allowing for continuous optimization.
Swift’s success is a testament to her extraordinary talent and business acumen. By incorporating these tips into your organization’s communications campaigns, you can take your marketing efforts to new heights and elevate your brand.